Gilbert & Aurelien Chirat
Aurélien Chirat is a fourth generation grower whose cellar in St-Michel-sur-Rhône is at the confluence of the Condrieu and Saint-Joseph appellations. His father, Gilbert, finally gave up his polycultural farming activities in 1984 to concentrate on viticulture, selling wine to the likes of Marcel Guigal. Aurélien joined Gilbert in 2008 and took control of the cellar in 2018. He still retains a relationship with Guigal, selling them Condrieu grapes in return for secondhand barrels.
We have initially selected three wines from the range, but I am sure we will be adding more over time. The best intro to the range is the Or Piste Viognier, which is in effect a wine from just outside the boundaries of Condrieu, on the same granite soils. Similarly, the Or Piste Syrah is from just outside St Joseph. There is also a St Joseph itself which is dark and brooding with delicious minerality.
- Gilbert & Aurelien Chirat 2018 Viognier 'Or Piste'In stock£19.99 As low as £18.39Chirat is a Condrieu producer and this wine is made from vines just outside the appellation boundaries but grown on... Learn More
- Gilbert & Aurelien Chirat 2018 St Joseph 'Les Cotes'In stock£27.99 As low as £25.75St Joseph is the most under-rated of the Northern Rhone appellations, this is no exception. Beautiful aromatics of... Learn More
- Gilbert & Aurelien Chirat 2018 St Joseph 'Soliste'In stock£31.99 As low as £29.43This is the top St Joseph from Chirat, which is framed for ageing. The fruit is rich but compact with a veneer of... Learn More
- Gilbert & Aurelien Chirat 2018 Condrieu 'Les Chays'In stock£39.99 As low as £36.79Condrieu is the spiritual home and ultimate expression of Viognier. Chirat's is made from a tiny parcel of just a few... Learn More
- Gilbert & Aurelien Chirat 2018 Condrieu 'Clos Poncin'In stock£51.99 As low as £47.83This is the top single-vineyard Condrieu of Aurelien Chirat made form vines on the lower slopes adjacent to the famed... Learn More